Treehuggers Arrested At White House
The Obama Administration is starting to face some cracks in its “base” which, while they do not in and of themselves pose any challenge to a second term, in sum, certainly demonstrate the widespread distaste that this White House is causing in many “niche” groups stereotypically identified as “Democratic” or even “Progressive.”
The “policy-wonk,” and certainly “celebrity cause” driven debates (which global warming and drilling/pipeline expansions would certainly fall under) actually do have, at their core, some quite conservative principles. Alan Simpson, for example, is a very good “environmentalist,” despite the fact that he is at odds with “The Professional Left” on just about every other issue.
That said, the good old drama caused by “flash in the pan” celebrity affairs are always fun when they are topical.
And so it was yesterday at 1600 Penn, when Darryl Hannah got herself stylishly arrested protesting the widely anticipated approval of a new cross-continental petroleum “highway” known as the Keystone XL pipeline which will connect Canada with Mexico. Specifically, Canadian tar sands in Alberta with existing refineries on the Gulf of Mexico.
It’s so exciting to see how the petroleum industry plans projects in advance with the potential to wreck environments in three countries, one coast, and one major water table not to mention lots of delicate real estate in between. What’s worse is the wimpiness of this administration to do anything about it. Like say, mention relevant federal environmental protection law and oh, perhaps the failure of the Interior Department (for one) to even uphold existing regs. Not to mention make no abashed, aw shucks embarrassed noises before fighting for green tech, low and no carbon technologies and money to develop the private sector.
So, as much as we know that such events tend to generate more light than heat, we say for that reason, it’s a good thing that they happen. From an energy, if not heat producing perspective, they’re pretty “sustainable.”
And as far as what is going on in our neck of the woods, well, we think our kind of action is what is needed to make a real difference in the situation if not the debate. Stay tuned. More good developments have already happened this week.
- Daryl Hannah Arrested At Keystone XL Pipeline Protest (huffingtonpost.com)
- Keystone XL Pipeline Protests – time to listen? (brainguff.wordpress.com)
- Actress Darryl Hannah & 100 others arrested at White House Toxic Tar Sands protest (americablog.com)
- Daryl Hannah arrested in White House oil protest (telegraph.co.uk)
- What Keystone White House Protest? (bagnewsnotes.com)
- Daryl Hannah Arrested At The White House! (now100fm.radio.com)
- Daryl Hannah arrested at pipeline protest outside White House (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Hannah arrested after White House protest (hollywood.com)
- Actress Daryl Hannah Arrested At White House Protest | FoxNews.com (livingstrongandhappy.blogspot.com)
- Daryl Hannah arrested in White House oil protest (usatoday.com)
- Daryl Hannah Detained During Keystone XL Pipeline Protest (inquisitr.com)
- Daryl Hannah arrested at White House protest (nicolemaschke1.wordpress.com)
- Daryl Hannah Arrested For Protesting Outside Of The White House! (perezhilton.com)